Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Using Canned Peaches - Peach Baked Oatmeal

 

 

This cold, cold weather has me wanting something warm and comforting for breakfast and I love baked oatmeal with any variety of fruit. Unfortunately, this time of year there is not a lot of fresh fruit to be found, unless you had the foresight to can or freeze some at the end of the summer (I wish!)

This recipe for Peach Baked Oatmeal was first posted in the summer when peaches were plentiful and it was one of my favorites. I thought at the time, it might taste just as good with canned peaches and kept that thought at the back of my mind for a cold winter's day like today.

I found a can of peaches in my pantry and easily made the substitution for the fresh peaches in the recipe and all in all, it was a successful experiment. Of course, it didn't have that fresh peach flavor, but for the middle of winter, it was a wonderful breakfast. And, if you are back to healthy eating, like me, this is a low fat, low sugar version that will fit in well with your new year's diet plans.

Happy Wednesday!


Peach Baked Oatmeal

1 1/2 cups fat free milk

1 T vanilla

2 eggs

21/2 cups old fashioned oats

1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. salt

2 T butter, melted

1 cup fresh peaches, chopped ( I substituted canned peaches from the grocery store )

Whisk together milk, vanilla and eggs. Add oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir in melted butter and peaches. Pour in a greased 8 x 8 baking dish and allow to set at least 3 hours or overnight in refridgerator. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until oatmeal is puffed and golden brown.

 

{Linking with these friends}


Savvy Southern Style

Jennifer Rizzo

Stonegable


Between Naps on the Porch

Gooseberry Patch

Sunny Simple Life (From The Farm)

Rattlebridge Farm

This Gal Cooks

Mom's Test Kitchen

9 comments:

  1. John and I will love this. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love the Del Monte brand canned peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! A bit of summer in this gosh awful cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, I am saving this and making it tomorrow! Copying it down now....:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, quick question Vicki, should I drain the peaches before adding. ...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it sounds lovely. Why not other winter fruits too? Like cranberry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good on these cold mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter and I loved the tortellini soup. My husband liked it but said it would be good with sausage in it. He always needs meat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two big bags of frozen peaches waiting for a great recipe like this. I wonder if it would work instead of the canned?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo... this sounds yummy! I have never made a baked oatmeal before. I just may have to try this. :)
    Thank you so much for sharing at Marvelous Mondays this week- pinned and shared!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (160) florida (124) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (194) nana time (5) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved