Friday, April 4, 2014

Practicing Yoga

 

 

source

 

My morning routine has changed significantly in the last few weeks. After writing the day's blog post over my morning coffee, I am now getting my body and my spirit moving with a yoga routine. In the past I have gone to yoga classes, but only found one I was really comfortable with, (taught by a friend) so I stopped going. But, I missed it. Yoga gives your body an entirely different workout than walking and the stretching and weight bearing poses are what I need to stay flexible, strong and balanced.

So, I purchased a DVD (Yoga Over 50) that I could use at home, got out my dusty yoga mat and found a new love. It is very calming and the stretching utilizes muscles I haven't moved in a long time. This DVD moves at a slower pace and explains each movement with really nice detail and flow. My goal is to work up to being so comfortable with the poses, that I can go to a class again and feel like I can keep up.

 

source

 

As a diabetic, stress is my enemy and I fight hard to remain as stress free as possible. With yoga in the morning and a daily walk in the afternoon I will have a healthy balance in my life - taking away stressful thoughts and keeping my days as calm as possible.

Have a great weekend!

 

9 comments:

  1. Good for you! The best I ever felt was when I was doing yoga -- I should make time for it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you . . . Inspiring! Yoga used to be part of my life too and I just never could feel happy going to the classes. I was operating out of "should" instead of enjoyment. I loved the stretching though and how it helped me sleep better too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although, as you know, I practice Tai Chi, I may look for that DVD when I get home, Vicki...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also check out www.99yogashape.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a strong believer in yoga too. Sadly I've had to give it up for a while as my back heals. But I'll be back at it as s9on as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it helps Vicki..With my arthritis, I have NO flexibility anymore..Yoga doesn't work for me..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful Vicki. I am a huge proponent of "soft" exercise as we mature. Yoga strengthens the body and calms the mind. A winning combination! (I didn't know you were diabetic?! .. that's an added challenge..) xxL

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooo thanks for the tip...just ordered the dvd!! I do pilates 3 x's a week and have wanted to start yoga on my days off!! Especially in my own living room!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried Yoga but it sounds like something I could use too! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (160) florida (124) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (194) nana time (5) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved