Thursday, January 19, 2017

Last Night's Book Club

 

 

 

 

 

A lovely welcoming table, delicious food, wine and good friends were a much needed respite last night. Between our move, problems with elderly parents and life in general, a night out was just what I needed. We were a small group of just six, but sometimes it's nice to be able to talk to everyone at once and really hold a meaningful discussion.

Our dinner was so good; salmon, cooked on the grill with a wonderful smoky flavor, a wild rice blend with mushrooms, carrots, celery and almonds (I need the recipe), perfectly grilled asparagus and homemade carrot cake with delicious cream cheese frosting and fresh berries on the side. As usual our hostess outdid herself.

 

 

I have to admit that I did not read the book, but was still able to contribute a little bit to the discussion. We read The Alchemist and you can read the reviews here if you would like to know more. The reviews from our group were mixed with some enjoying it and others finding themselves bogged down halfway through. It's more of a short story than a novel, so it's a quick read if you are interested. My only excuse for not reading it is that I'm in the mood for light, escapist reading at the moment, rather than something introspective.

I just love my book club and sincerely hope I will find the same type of women to share life with when I move. But, ten plus years of history and shared experience will be hard to replace.

Happy Thursday!

 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great evening. My last book club in TX chose this book and guess what. I didn't read it, either. It just didn't seem like my thing. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our group has debated reading it too. Lots of mixed feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a active book club here in Lakeland that one of my co-workers is part of. I'm sure you will find a new group when you move! I hope so!! I so want you to love Florida as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice that you were able to enjoy a good time with your friends during what must be a very hectic time. I read the Alchemist a few years ago - it got such good reviews, but I didn't care for it a lot. I'm glad that your book club also had mixed feelings. Whenever I don't like a book with so many good reviews, I wonder if I missed something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!
Comments are my favorite, so I can get to know you :-)

I always answer comments via email, but if your settings don't allow that, your reply will be here. (So come back to see my reply or check the box for follow up comments)



Michigan ➡️ Florida
family, books, gardening, palm trees, the beach, golf, up north, msu football, detroit tigers, walking with my dog, trying new recipes, musicals, BBC, martinis, yoga, lilly

Search This Blog


Follow on Bloglovin



about me (12) BBC (25) blog (34) books (171) christmas (90) cocktails (48) Diabetes (68) DIY (100) downsizing (22) empty nest (97) entertaining (67) faith (26) family (159) florida (123) florida house tour (12) food (291) friends (130) gardening (80) health and beauty (13) home (143) Let’s Cook Together (3) life (531) movies (11) my daughters (193) nana time (4) nature (50) pinterest (120) pinterest success (68) puppy (28) quarantine (18) reality tv (37) recipe redo (12) repurpose (2) sewing (4) shopping (23) sports (74) tv and movies (89) walking (50) wedding (25) yoga (14)

 

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved